EAGLE RUN REGISTRATION OPEN!
Join us for the 16th annual Eagle Run, presented by Mercy, May 28 at Avon High School. Proceeds benefit the Avon Schools Educational Endowment Fund and other local charities.
The family-fun event includes a 5-mile run, 5k run/walk and 1-mile kids fun run.
Help your favorite Avon student win a pool and dodge ball party at the French Creek YMCA by adding his/her teacher’s name to your registration form.
The first 1,000 adults to register will receive a T-shirt and hat. T-shirts will also be given to the kids.
To register, log on to http://www.hermescleveland.com/roadracing/events/eagle.asp
Sign up today!
Kindergarten Information Night Feb. 11
Avon Local Schools will be hosting a Kindergarten Information Night Thursday, February 11 at the Avon Early Learning Center, 3075 Stoney Ridge Road, from 7 to 9 p.m. During this time, important information regarding the kindergarten registration process will be presented.
Kindergarten in Ohio is mandatory. Any child who becomes 5-years-old on or before August 1 is eligible for admission to kindergarten at the beginning of school in August. During Kindergarten Information Night, we will discuss kindergarten screening, which includes the various types of tests that will be administered before children enter school, as well as more general topics including the online registration process and student immunizations.
Since this is an informational meeting for parents, we request that only adults attend the meeting.
For up-to-date information regarding the Kindergarten registration process, and any additional information regarding Kindergarten, please check the district’s website throughout the year under the “Schools” tab, click “Early Learning Center.”
Winter Weather Reminder
As the winter season approaches, we wanted to take this opportunity to review
our district's protocol for decision-making and communication during calamity days for parents/guardians to stay informed.
Student safety always comes first. If we feel it is unsafe for our students to come to school, we will cancel. That being said, it is always our goal to find a way to get students here so teaching and learning can take place.
When there are circumstances that could lead to the cancellation of school, we try to make that decision as early as possible so parents can plan. We don’t always have the information necessary to make those decisions as early as we would like, but we try to communicate prior to busses leaving to pick up students at 6 a.m. Again, our goal is to communicate in a timely manner. We appreciate your understanding and patience. Below are several ways to stay informed and receive information:
1. School closings will post to Twitter. Follow @MikeLaubAvon.
2. Always check the homepage of our district website (avonlocalschools.org). As long as there is power, we post to the website before sending out any other notification. Don’t forget to refresh the page if you are leaving it open and waiting for an update.
3. Friendly reminder to keep your contact information up-to-date in PowerSchool. Contact your child’s school office to make any changes. Our automated phone messaging system** pulls phone numbers from that data to make calls. Emails are also pulled from that data. If you would like a text message as well, text the word “join” to 56360.
4. After sending an alert message, we contact the local television stations. We contact channels 3, 5, 8 and 19 (in that order).
5. Sign up for eNews by going to our website's homepage on the bottom left of the screen. eNews is used regularly by the district to communicate news/events. We regret, it does not immediately send items as there is typically a delay based on the volume of subscribers, but another way to stay up-to-date on what is happening at each school. School closings are also sent through eNews.
**Please note that the automated phone messaging system can be used for different types of notifications, so be sure to always listen to the message in its entirety when it arrives.